In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Winslow Historical Preservation Committee

Narrow Gauge Railroad, Winslow, ca. 1905

Contributed by Winslow Historical Preservation Committee
MMN Item 50119 Item Details
Narrow Gauge Railroad, Winslow, ca. 1905
MMN Item 50119 Zoom

Description

The Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington Railroad, built in the late 1800s, ran from Wiscasset to Winslow and Albion. It never made it to its goal of reaching the Moosehead Lake region. nor to Waterville or Farmington.

It ran from Wiscasset through Cooper's Mills to Week''s Mills and to Albion through N. Vassalboro. By 1902 the line was extended to Winslow, which became the terminating point. The tracks crossed Rt 201 and then over 3 abuttments right to bank of the Kennebec River. MCRR would not give the company permission to cross their tracks at grade level. Remains of the 3 abuttments remain to this day.

The Winslow depot was on the east side of what would become Rt 201 (Augusta Rd). If you were driving south the depot was about 50 yards south of the Augusta Rd & Lithgow St southern intersection. The original depot was re-configured and renovated into a home. This white home is still occupied today.







Like other narrow gauge rails, it was a struggle to survive. In 1912 the line was cut from Winslow to N. Vassalboro.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.